|St. Matthew Evangelical Church
(St. Matthew/Central Congregational UCC)
|St. Matthew Evangelical Church, S. Carrollton Avenue, 1929|
|St. Matthew Evangelical Church,
orginal building, erected in 1849
|Information about the church's history and the photo of the
image of the original church are from St. Matthew's website.
|St. Matthew Evangelical Church was founded in 1849 as the German Evangelical Church of Carrollton. When the original church was built, an ornamental rooster was placed on top of the steeple as part of a weathervane. Because of this, the church became known as "The Rooster Church." This weathervane is desplayed in a glass case in the church lobby.
The present church was constructed in 1923. When St. Matthew merged with the Reformed Church it became St. Matthew Evangelical and Reformed Church. In 1975, St. Matthew merged with the Congregational Christian Church and became St. Matthew United Church of Christ.
The congregation of Central Congregational United Church of Christ lost their building to the flood waters of 2005 and, since that time, the two congreations have worshipped together under the name of
St. Matthew/Central Congreational United Church of Christ.